Info: NeroLINUX published - Nero burning software for Linux platforms

David Liguori liguorid at albany.edu
Tue Mar 15 21:42:29 UTC 2005

Antonio Olivares wrote:
> --- a a <lacadaemon at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Sean:
>>

>>>I don't see any reason to use this & I don't see
>>
>>what Nero are trying to do.
>>
>>it is plain obvious that you have not considered
>>that what Nero is
>>tryong to do is expand to providing a product for
>>the linux os. that
>>is not a sinister move, it is a recognition of the
>>growing popularity
>>of linux
>>

>>>Nero is very sucessful on windows, as there are
>>
>>not many good alternatives, there are on linux.
>>
>>untrue. Nero is very successful on windows cos it is
>>simply one of the
>>best apps, there are tens and tens of alternatives
>>

>>>If you are expected to pay for a product (you must
>>
>>purchase nero6 to download linuxnero) on Linux, you
>>expect support at least, if not a nice
>>system/interface.
>>
>>Nero are not expecting people to buy a windows
>>license so they can
>>obtain a linux version. this is simply Nero saying
>>"hey we recognise
>>that linux is an os to code for and we better start
>>somewhere by
>>making an effort at a linux implementation" they
>>cant support it cos
>>they dont as yet have a linux infrastructure ... it
>>is obvious that
>>this is an emerging project
>>

>>>It sems to me as if they are trying to make sales
>>
>>by appealing somewhat to the Linux community, but
>>sadly have gotten it very very wrong.
>>
>>you got it very very wrong Sean. if everyone had
>>your defensive,
>>partisan, entrenched attitude to developments then
>>very little would
>>ever be achieved.
>>
>>i say well done to Nero for making the effort and
>>wish then every
>>success with their project and maybe one day they
>>can aspire to a
>>linux app that everyone will want to use, just like
>>they did on
>>windows
>>
>>--
>>

> I do not want to add to the flames already started,
> but some people already run Nero on their linux
> machines via Wine.  If Nero wants its Burning Suite to
> run natively under Linux, it is up to them (welcome to
> the linux world).  Linux already has excellent
> applications like k3b and xcdroast which I have used.
> I could say that both Sean and a a have great
> perspectives on what they think about Nero making the
> move to linux.

Could this indeed be yet another Wine patch masquerading as a native Linux app?

I agree with those who say that more good Linux apps is good, period.

Some of you who may not have purchased a Windows license in a long time, if ever, may not understand the concept of paying for software without any support :-)