Module rivafb

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Mar 16 14:17:25 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 07:38, Helge Tore Hoeyland wrote:
> I've installed Fedora Core 3 and are trying to install the driver for my
> GeForce 2 GTS card. I got a message saying that I've got module "rivafb"
> installed as a module and a conflikt whit my newly built "nvidia" module
> is the result. I'm told to remove my "rivafb" with the "rmmod" comand.
> Trying to do so fails with a message: "Module rivafb does not exist
> in /proc/modules". After editing xorg.conf, changing driver "nv" to
> "nvidia" and comenting out "load dri", and editing inittab back to level
> 5, I tried to start up my newly upgraded kernel only to get a hangup
> while "calkulating modules dependencies" for hours.
>
> I've foud out that I've got the rivafb suport in my kernel itself and
> not as a module. Tried to build a new kernel, 2.6.11.2, without sucsess.
> My original kernel i the one following Core 3. How do I get rid of my
> "rivafb" support in my kernel?

I saw the same message during a build of new machine recently.  When I
investigated the rivafb module I found that this appears to be a frame
buffer driver that is used for some devices.  In my case I ignored the
warning message and loaded the nvidia driver as documented.  In my case
the system has not had any problems running the nvidia driver.

In this case it did not appear that my system utilized the rivafb module
for the particular combination of equipment that I have.

Did you install the nvidia driver from the install scripts provided by
nvidia or from rpms?

I would suggest you use the install scripts from nvidia if possible.

The only system that I have had trouble with the nvidia drivers on is a
laptop.  While the nvidia drivers worked I would occasionally during
boot up get a blank screen or a red screen on the laptop.  I have since
removed the nvidia driver from this laptop as I really did not require
3D acceleration in this case and I preferred to have the system boot up
consistently instead of failing 1 out of 4 boots.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Expect a letter from a friend who will ask a favor of you.