kernel boot parameter : init=/bin/bash

lin q linq936 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 17 23:13:12 UTC 2005

Hi,
  I happen to find an interesting thing: if I add "init=/bin/bash" to the
kernel boot parameter, then Fedora Core 1 quickly boots to command line
bash, no GUI starts. And / is read only. And I works in single user
environment.

  Then I tried changing the parameter to "init=/bin/bash, rw", but this time
the boot is like normal way, GUI starts, I am asked to log in, etc.

  I wonder why it has so big difference with and without "rw"?

Thanks.