help with yum

Scott talbotscott at cox.net
Sun Mar 20 03:45:55 UTC 2005

Zachary Napora wrote:

>On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 13:08:58 -0800 (PST), ciaron at riseup.net
><ciaron at riseup.net> wrote:
>

>>>I'm a computer illiterate linux newbie, i just upgraded from FC2 to 3, and
>>>now I can't get yum to work. here's the error i get:
>>>
>>>File "/usr/bin/yum", line 6, in ?
>>>import yummain
>>>File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 25, in ?
>>>import cli
>>>File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 39, in ?
>>>from yum import pgpmsg
>>>ImportError: cannot import name pgpmsg
>>>

>>>if anyone can tell me what's wrong/how to fix it (in basic steps) i'd
>>>appreciate it!
>>>
>>>thanks
>>>
>>>Ciaron
>>>

>Hi, perhaps your update didn't go so well. Did you mix repositories at all?
>Read this: http://fcp.homelinux.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11937&forum=12
>Then send a reply.

Zachary:

    I can only give you some good pointers in troubleshooting, that
should let you clear this up.  But first, a couple of pointers: It is a
good idea to give some more information about errors.  In your case, the
version of yum you are using (in a terminal enter rpm -q yum which will
give you the complete package name.  Also what can be critical just
after installing a new version is whether you did a clean install (i.e.
deleting old files, except for home directory) or update.  I assume you
did the latter.  On to the fun!:

Let me introduce to you the strace command
from the terminal enter :

strace yum update

will provide a step-by step of processes while yum is executing.  When
the program stops look for  lines that give an error (often
enoent:missing file xxx.xxx..xxx) This will usually point you to the
problem, though you may need to figure out what package will provide the
missing file.

Just out of curiosity, you didn't install the brand-new FC4 test 1 did
you?  Anyway, you should check to see if up2date can be used instead of
yum, at least until you get yum fixed up.

Good luck!

Scott