Fail to burn DVDs [NOT resolved after all]

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Mon Mar 21 07:41:08 UTC 2005

Itay Furman wrote:

> How can I burn a DVD under FC2?
>
> I Tried this on _another_ machine (DELL i8600) with a device clearly
> labeled as DVD-RW -- and failed.  The machine is
> running FC2, kernel 2.6.5-1.358.
>
> Here is some feedback I get from cdrecord.
>
> Please advise: what am I doing wrong?
>
>     Thanks,
>     Itay
>

> [root at rothko pkg]# cdrecord -scanbus
> Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a27-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004
> Jörg Schilling
> Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
> Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
> Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
> <warly at mandrakesoft.com>.
> Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in
> this version.
> scsidev: 'ATA'
> devname: 'ATA'
> scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
> Warning: Using badly designed ATAPI via /dev/hd* interface.
> Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
> Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
> cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version
> (schily - Red Hat-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.80-RH '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c
> 1.80 04/03/08 Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').scsibus1:
>         1,0,0   100) '_NEC    ' 'DVD+RW ND-5100A ' '10AC' Removable
> CD-ROM
>         1,1,0   101) *
>         1,2,0   102) *
>         1,3,0   103) *
>         1,4,0   104) *
>         1,5,0   105) *
>         1,6,0   106) *
>         1,7,0   107) *
>
> [root at rothko pkg]# cdrecord dev=1,0,0 -speed=4 -v -dao -pad
> FC3-i386-DVD.iso
> Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a27-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004
> Jörg Schilling
> Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
> Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
> Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
> <warly at mandrakesoft.com>.
> Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in
> this version.
> TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
> scsidev: '1,0,0'
> scsibus: 1 target: 0 lun: 0
> cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/sg*'. Cannot
> open SCSI driver.
> cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you
> are root.
> cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.

> itayf at u.washington.edu  /  +1 (206) 543 9040  /  U of Washington

Itay, I am not a linux expert by any means so take what I say here with
a little skepticism.  Two things in the material you provided to the
list make me think your system is recognizing the "DVD" drive as a
cd-rom.  First, the last "column" of info displayed by the scanbus
command reads "removeable CD-ROM. Winifred Trumper's "CD-Writing Howto"
to work with Jorg Schilling's cd-record program reports, "The last
column gives the SCSI description of the device, from which you cannot
clearly distinguish ordinary CD-ROM drives from those with burning
capability."  Second,  output of your cdrecord command reports "TOC
Type: 1 = CD-ROM."

What does your /etc/fstab file look like?
What does cdrecord.conf look like?
Do you have K3b installed on your system?  If not, it is on the FC2
distribution isos and I believe it has been updated since FC2 release.
Its use requires installation of a lot of the KDE libraries, but it
works well, has a lot of features and is very user friendly.