How to boot FC3 from a USB hard disk??

Antonio Montagnani anto.montagnani at virgilio.it
Mon Mar 21 12:10:22 UTC 2005

Antonio Montagnani mi ha scritto / wrote to me il / on 19/03/2005 11.25:

> Antonio Montagnani ha scritto/wrote il giorno/on 19/03/2005 09:54:
>
>> I start a new thread in order to lower noise as the previuos was
>> becoming too long.
>>
>> I performed a installation on an external hard disk (Eide HD in a USB
>> enclosure)
>> Please note that I had to add the noacpi option to linux expert,
>> otherwise installation froze.
>>
>> During installation I decided not to install Grub as my goal is to
>> have a system booting Linux when the external HD i sconnected
>> otherwise Windows must be started. No choices to the user....and I
>> want to be connect to any system (mainly laptops) and use Linux
>>
>> When I rebooted the system, of course it didn't boot (USB booting is
>> available).
>>
>> I tried to follow instructions at www.simonf.com/usb but I got lost.
>> When I issued the command
>> mkinitrd --preload=ehci-hcd --preload=usb-storage --preload=scsi_mod
>> --preload=sd_mod /boot/usbinitrd.img 2.6.9-1.667smp
>>
>> I get the reply that /lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667smp is not a directory!!!
>>
>> Where is my mistake??
>>
>> And after that as I have no grub.conf to modify, what shall I have to
>> do to start Linux???
>>
>> TNX
>>
> I changed the command to:
> mkinitrd --preload=ehci-hcd --preload=usb-storage --preload=scsi_mod
> --preload=sd_mod /boot/usbinitrd.img 2.6.9-1.667
>
> and it worked creating an usbinitrd.img
>
> And now how to start if grub is not installed????

I rebooted and it didn't start, I connected to another Fedora machine
and I saw that no usbinitrd.img was created.
Why??
Shall I use the modified mkinitrd?? and how can I use it, I mean to
inser in the existing installation???

Tnx

--
Antonio Montagnani

Mail by Mozilla Thunderbird 0.9 Websurfing by Mozilla Firefox 1.0
http://start.mozilla.org/firefox?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:it-IT:official
Posta con Mozilla Thunderbird 0.9 Navigazione con Mozilla Firefox 1.0
http://start.mozilla.org/firefox?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:it-IT:official