Big Brother 1.9c and Fedora Core 3

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Mar 21 13:39:46 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 00:23, Don Dupy wrote:
> Has anyone installed big brother 1.9c ona fc3 box?
> I am having trouble with the makefile
>
> here is the message I am getting
>
> [root at stinger src]# make
> gcc -DZOMBIE -DFREEBSD -DGETTIMEOFDAY -DREGEXEC -DDEBUG=1 -O    -c -o bb.o
> bb.c
> bb.c:24:52: bb.h: No such file or directory
> bb.c: In function `bbnotify':
> bb.c:56: error: `PAGELEVELSDEFAULT' undeclared (first use in this
> function)
> bb.c:56: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> bb.c:56: error: for each function it appears in.)
> bb.c: In function `main':
> bb.c:94: error: `stderr' undeclared (first use in this function)
> bb.c:104: error: `stdin' undeclared (first use in this function)
> bb.c:104: warning: comparison between pointer and integer
> make: *** [bb.o] Error 1
>
> any ideas, or do i need more info?

Looks like it could not find the bb.h file.  Should check your include
path for that.  I suspect the other errors you are getting are due to
that file not being found.

As Thomas Chung indicated you might want to try the latest version.
Also check the licensing for it.  They changed it a couple of years
ago.  I used an older version for awhile and it was quite good.
Relatively easy to setup and provided a very nice display interface.

Other alternatives you might want to look at include OpenNMS and
Nagios.  Been awhile since I worked with those as well.  Both were a
little more difficult to setup than Big Brother but were quite good
also.  I only briefly looked at Big Sister several years ago.  At that
time it did not have the large base of support that Big Brother had.
This may have changed and could be a very good replacement for Big
Brother if it has.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

No one can guarantee the actions of another.
		-- Spock, "Day of the Dove", stardate unknown