Udev Audio Disable

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Mar 22 01:34:11 UTC 2005

Chethiya K Ranaweera wrote:
> Richard,
> No. I have an ATI tv tuner card and I am using tvtime as the
> application. And I am feeding the audio out from the tv tuner card to
> the built in speakers in my monitor.  When I boot the machine, as soon
> as udev detects audio, I can hear the sound from tvtime. So I was
> wondering whether there is anyway to fix that problem.

If you've got the tuner's output routed through your sound card, mute
the input it uses.  FC saves the CURRENT sound levels when it shuts down
and restores them when it boots again.  Make sure you have the input
muted before you shut down, or you can remove either the "save" or
"restore" operation in /etc/modprobe.conf (you decide which is more
appropriate--I'd recommend the save-on-shutdown).

This is the line in /etc/modprobe.conf that saves the current levels
when you shut down:

remove sound-slot-0 {/bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null \
2>&1 || :; } ; /sbin/modprobe -r --first-time --ignore-remove \
sound-slot-0

And this is the one that restores the old values when you boot:

install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install \
sound-slot-0 && { /sbin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null \

-                    Do you know where _your_ towel is?              -