Fc =! production!!

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Wed Mar 23 16:31:39 UTC 2005

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 11:09:38 +0530, gaurav <gauravp at hclcomnet.co.in> wrote:
>
>> can I automatically upgrade using yum ??
>>

> yes.
>
> For upgrading the distribution using CD/DVD is the recommended method

Network install works fine as well. We have done Redhat 8 9 and fedora 1 2
3 upgrades on remote machines with serial-console or ipmi remote
management cards, it does require some advance planning.

Upgrading between major versions by hand is ill-advised as the installer,
especially for 2 has to work some magic with things like lvm.

I don't find switching between major versions of fedora quite as elegant
as on debian or a freebsd install, but I've also screwed myself going from
freebsd 4.10 to 5.2 as well, so it's not like it becomes trivial if you
choose to run freebsd.

I think the original person who posed the question can be reasonably well
assured that there are people providing real services, in production
quality requirements on Fedora Core.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu