TOP POSTING

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Wed Mar 30 16:32:43 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Craig White" <craigwhite at azapple.com>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Cc: "Frank Stratton - VE3YY" <fstratton at rogers.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 9:37 AM
Subject: Re: TOP POSTING

> On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 09:56 -0500, Frank Stratton - VE3YY wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I've decided to withdraw from this list, but before I do I want to have
>> my 2
>> cents worth.  I received a nasty message from a David CURRY (see below).
>> This message was inappropriate and uncalled for.  I am new to this list
>> and
>> if he had taken to time to explain what was required I would have changed
>> from digest format to individual messages.
>>
> ----
> We all were new once - some of us forget what it was like.
>
> suggest that you take a different approach to this - there are lot of
> people on this list and some of them get carried away
>
> Learn to ignore / delete the messages from people that have rubbed you
> the wrong way - they need not be significant

I respectfully disagree.  Every time someone is rude and we just ignore it,
we are really condoning it.  There is waaaay too much hostility out there,
we should not tolerate it in our community.  I believe this should be a
safe, enjoyable place to come and participate in a friendly community and
learn about a really cool technology.  I see this sort of silly flame job
entirely too often on this list.  People hide behind the anonymity of the
keyboard and treat people on the list in a way that (I hope) they would
never dream of in person.

In my opinion, we should not tolerate this kind of bad behavior.  If a new
list member makes mistakes, I totally understand and agree with gently
reminding them of the list preferences.  But this newbie bashing is totally
counter-productive.  It alienates new users and enforces the impression that
the Linux community is an elitist mob.

Thomas