top posting, HTML posting and "the closer"

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Wed Mar 30 17:40:50 UTC 2005

RDay -

To start - I agree that plain text and bottom posting are a Good Thing(TM).
I think that legal disclaimers are silly.

What you fail to take into account is that this is a community with no laws
regarding this topic (as is the whole Internet).  Everyone except Warren
Togami and whoever  byte at aeon.com.my is are here voluntarily.  While I
completely agree that these preferences are desireable, I think the people
who let it get their blood pressure up are being silly.  I also think that
the people who make this into some religious debate and get nasty about it
need to grow up.

I have never had a problem reading top posted messages, HTML formatted
messages, or messages with silly disclaimers.  I know I'm not the sharpest
tool in this particular shed.  It surprises me that some people on this list
who are obviously as or more intelligent than I am get so stirred up about
it.  And it saddens me when people on this list whom I respect on a
technical level make rude comments and call names.

I completely support gentle reminders when someone who is new to the list
makes a mistake.

But the hostility and rudeness just hurts the community.

Thomas