FC3 on Dell PowerEdge 2800 and embedded SCSI and 10/100/1000 NICs ?

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Wed Mar 30 20:09:15 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "McGuffey, David" <DAVID.C.MCGUFFEY at saic.com>
To: <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Cc: "McGuffey, David" <DAVID.C.MCGUFFEY at saic.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 1:34 PM
Subject: FC3 on Dell PowerEdge 2800 and embedded SCSI and 10/100/1000 NICs ?

>A couple of weeks back I posted a message about openwall, grsecurity, PAX,
> LIDS, and Bastille for FC3 but didn't get much response.  So I'm going to
> create a small lab to investigate these issues plus SELinux on my own.
>
> I've considering ordering a Dell PowerEdge 2800, with two Xenon 3.0GHz
> processors, 2 GB ram, embedded  SCSI and embedded 10/100/1000 NICS for
> about
> $2,800.
>
> Anyone running FC3 on this fairly generic box?  Any problems?  Any
> recommendations for a better box at the same or less cost?
>
> Dave McGuffey
> Principal Information Assurance Engineer
> SAIC

Hi David -

Man, for $2800 I could build a heck of a lab with way more than one box.
Buy several lower-end machines and you can probably get more done.  Just my
opinion, only worth what you paid for it.  :-)

An observation:  posting multiple questions in a single message tends to
turn folks like me off.  I've found that I am more likely to answer a single
question...  So if you have three issues you are dealing with, I suggest
posting three messages.

I could be wrong tho...

Thomas