modem keeps disappearing

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Thu Mar 31 01:31:56 UTC 2005

Claude Jones wrote:
> I'm having a disappearing modem problem. I put in the computer, it gets
> recognized by kudzu, and it comes up working. I use it to dial in to an
> old mainframe. Kermit sees it, and I have ProComm for DOS running under
> dosemu. All seems well. I shut down the computer, and when it comes back
> up, it has disappeared. So far, I've only been able to recover it by
> removing it and rebooting, and then reinstalling it and rebooting. It
> seemed to be a problem with a lockfile earlier on, but, that's no longer
> the case. Can anyone offer an idea? I've searched the list and read the
> configuration manuals from Redhat, but there is precious little said
> about modems for old-style dialup.

I reply to myself - the modem is not disappearing. By doing a kudzu -p I
was able to determine that the modem is still configured and is set to
ttyS14 - when I used that to connect via Kermit and ProComm just now, I
got in. So, does anyone know why, is it called the 'symbolic link'
/dev/modem?, keeps disappearing?

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA