Compiling ftape modules

Stephen Childress schildre at bsn1.net
Tue Mar 1 03:56:28 UTC 2005

Dear Fedora List,
     I posted a couple of weeks ago regarding my attempts to get ftape
working on Fedora Core 3, since it no longer comes as a pre-compiled kernel
module.  The suggestion at that time was to follow the directions in the
release notes for compiling modules.  I've finally gotten back to working on
this project.  Actually I had stumbled on the release notes before I posted
but wasn't sure how to apply them to the task at hand.  Here is the question
I have.  Quoting from the release notes,

quote(( "For example, to build the foo.ko module, create the following file
(named Makefile) in the directory containing the foo.c file:

obj-m    := foo.o

KDIR    := /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build
PWD    := $(shell pwd)

default:
    $(MAKE) -C $(KDIR) SUBDIRS=$(PWD) modules

Issue the make command to build the foo.ko module." )) #end quote

Now, there are three modules that I need, ftape.ko, zftape.ko, and
zft-compressor.ko.  The source files for these are in three directories
under the drivers tree: lowlevel, zftape, and compressor.  Each directory
has several .c and .h files as well as a Makefile, but there is no file
named ftape.c, zftape.c, or zft_compressor.c.  The object module is created
by linking several files together.  So my question is, what do I substitute
for "foo.o" in the above makefile?  My strategy is going to be 1) Copy all
.c and .h files to a temp directory.  2)  Create Makefile as above.  3)
make.  4) Copy *.ko modules to appropriate directory in /lib/modules.
     I would appreciate any help anyone can give, and perhaps it is apparent
that I need a little more handholding than someone who writes their own
makefiles before breakfast.  I guess I'm also a little peeved that as a user
I have to go through this, since the floppy tape hardware used to be
well-supported under Red Hat and Fedora releases.  Thanks in advance.

Stephen Childress