X Forwarding with SSH in FC3 and FC2

Patrick Nelson pnelson at neatech.com
Tue Mar 1 05:37:47 UTC 2005

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

>Am Di, den 01.03.2005 schrieb Patrick Nelson um 0:15:
>

>>FC3 with openssh-3.9p1-8.0.1
>>

>>On FC3 system I run
>>
>>ssh -X myoldfc2sys
>>nedit
>>
>>which says errors to:
>>
>>X Error of failed request:  BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter)
>>Major opcode of failed request:  20 (X_GetProperty)
>>Atom id in failed request:  0x6e
>>Serial number of failed request:  20
>>Current serial number in output stream:  20
>>

>A FAQ!
>
>http://www.openssh.com/faq.html#3.13
>
>Even documented in the FC3 release notes as it is a change since
>previous Fedora Core OpenSSH versions.
>
>Please see too the changelog of the latest OpenSSH update for FC3:
>
>$ rpm -q --changelog openssh
>
>* Mon Feb 21 2005 Tomas Mraz <tmraz at redhat.com> 3.9p1-8.0.1
>
>- enable trusted forwarding by default if X11 forwarding is
>  required by user (#137685 and duplicates)
>[...]
I had the ForwardX11Trusted yes in my /etc/ssh/ssh_config file already,
I had seen that in the changelog and searched for a solution based on
it...  I did try the -Y (which for some reason I didn't notice before)
and sure enough this worked ...  So I messed around with it and found
that I needed 2 entries in /etc/ssh_config:

ForwardX11 yes
ForwardX11Trusted yes

for it to work.