Fedora Core Support List Unofficial User's Guide (draft 2 - Duncan Lithgow))

Gustavo Seabra gustavo.seabra at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 07:12:35 UTC 2005

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 13:46:22 -0500, Matt Morgan <minxmertzmomo at gmail.com> wrote:

> b) When you send in a new topic, do not start by replying to an
> existing message, but rather, start a new message to
> "fedora-list at redhat.com". This keeps messages organized by thread, for
> people who like to use threads (on high-volume mailing lists like this
> one, threads can be a great convenience).

I second that.

Another thing that may be interesting is to suggest the person who
made the original post to, when a solution to his problem is found,
finish the discussion with a last post adding something like [SOLVED]
to the subject line, and indicating /what/ exactly solved the problem.
That should help the readers to know the problem was finally solved
without even having to read the messages; helps the monthly
statistics; helps *a lot* when searching the archives later.

One question, though. How are these rules going to be made known? If I
may make a suggestion, I think a monthly mail reminder would be good.
Also, it could be kept in a web page, and a link to this page added in
the bottom of the messages, together with the "Fedora-list" things.

Gustavo Seabra                 Graduate Student
Chemistry Dept.         Kansas State University
Registered Linux user number 381680