FC3 86x_64: check, burn, boot problems

Scott Elliott sgelliot at mtu.edu
Tue Mar 1 07:38:05 UTC 2005

Peter Arremann wrote:
> On Saturday 26 February 2005 11:44, Scott Elliott wrote:
>
>>I have an MSI K8N Neo (FSR), with updated bios as of late december.
>>DVD is a Sony, DRU530A, CDR/RW/DVD+R/RW/DVD-R/RW with latest firmware(to
>>get 8x DVD+-R).
>>I have an old Liteon 24x10x40 also.
>>I have tried both the DVD and 4CD version of FC3,x86_64, even tried the
>>CD version in both drives. I have tried with all combinaitons of the
>>three mentioned kernel parameters, acpi=off, ide=nodma, and nocddma. In
>>each time, it gets past the filesystem mouting fine, says its running
>>install and then running /sbin/loader, at which point the cursor on a
>>new line moves three spaces(like a please wait thing i think) then
>>nothing. after a short time, all my drives spin down, and the fans slow
>>to not even hearing them(no cpu usage sign).
>>I have started downloading both the FC3,i386 DVD and the FC2,x86_64 DVD,
>>but i dont want to waste the disc's if there is some other problem in
>>the way.
>>Oh, i have an ATI Radeon 9600 video card, SATA HDD(120G, winxp and a
>>couple partitions, plus free space between system and data paritions),
>>and a D-link Wireless card.
>>Thanks for the help.
>>
>>-Scott
>
> Ok, I know the board is fine - its the same as I do... I have a Radeon 7500 (I
> do 2D only anyway) so that shouldn't matter either... That leaves the sata
> drive (although many people have success with it) and the dlink card...
>
> Honestly - I've no clue :-) But I would try without the dlink card... Just a
> guess but you never know unless you try...
>
> Peter.

I just thought of something, what options do you have changed from
defaults in the bios, specifically related to video card stuff. i think
i tweaked a few things for performance, and think it might be a cause of
my problem, since the hang is right before the graphical install stuff.
i will try text install tomorrow to test this theory.

-Scott