Webmin / Usermin and port blocking

Bob Brennan rbrennan96 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 10:51:15 UTC 2005

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 00:20:20 +0100, Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org> wrote:

> You can do so by configuring Apache using mod_proxy or mod_rewrite.
> Please see the Apache documentation. As an *untested* guideline:
>
> a) mod_proxy
>
>     ProxyVia On
>     ProxyPass /webmin http://localhost:10000
>     ProxyPassReverse /webmin http://localhost:10000
>
> b) mod_rewrite
>
>     RewriteEngine On
>     RewriteRule ^/webmin(.*) http://localhost:10000/$1 [P,L]
>     RewriteRule ^proxy:.*  -  [F]
>
> This is given that Apache does server other sites too on standard HTTP
> port 80.
>
> Alexander

This seems to be the best possibility after reading the Apache documentation.

The machine in question is a web/mail host for a dozen or so sites,
hence the need for Usermin so that site owners can maintain their
sites remotely, but *must* be normal http access rather than port
20000 due to blocking restrictions imposed by many admins (and rightly
so!) these days.

mod_proxy might also solve the next problem I was expecting to face -
giving each virtual domain owner http:Vdomain.com/usermin/ access
without adding the folder to each document tree.

I haven't tested this yet but will post again if research/attempts fail me.

Thanks guys!