Browse Samba server from XP

Alexander Apprich a.apprich at science-computing.de
Tue Mar 1 13:03:52 UTC 2005

Hi Dave,

Irving, Dave wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've set up a Samba server on my new Fedora 3 install.
> I can connect to it directly from an XP box with no problems, but it does
> not show when I browse the network from an XP box.
> I've been looking thru the docs provided with the install and on the net,
> but cant find anything that's immediately obvious. Ive done a nbtstat on my
> XP box and used the workgroup name I found here as my Samba workgroup.
> If someone could point me in the right direction it'd be greatly
> appreciated...

I might be wrong, but is this what you are looking for?
 From man smb.conf

announce as (G)
    This  specifies what type of server nmbd(8) will announce itself as,
    to a network neighborhood browse list. By default this is set to
    Windows NT. The valid options are : "NT Server" (which can also be
    written as "NT"), "NT  Workstation", "Win95"  or  "WfW"  meaning
    Windows  NT Server, Windows NT Workstation, Windows 95 and Windows
    for Workgroups respectively. Do not change this parameter unless you
    have a specific need to stop Samba appearing as an NT server  as
    this may prevent Samba servers from participating as browser servers
    correctly.

    Default: announce as = NT Server
    Example: announce as = Win95

also, for your shares (e.g. [home]) add