/dev/sda slowly dieing??

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 1 13:25:56 UTC 2005

Roger Grosswiler wrote:
> past days, i had several warnings of my backup, it coudln't read some sectors. Is my harddisc slowly dieing or is this
> another issue? Is there a tool within linux, where i can mark some sectors as defective?

As you've been told, this sounds like a dying drive. Don't trust it: get
any valuable data off it as soon as you can.

Which brand is it? It might be worth looking to see if the manufacturer
has any diagnostic software. In my experience, this usually creates a
bootable floppy which can do some really low-level hunting around: you
may need to "borrow" a Windows PC to create the floppy.

Good luck!

James.

--
James Wilkinson       | "I loved doing 'Midsomer Murders', but it got to the
Exeter    Devon    UK | point last year when there was no one left in