Browse Samba server from XP

Alexander Apprich a.apprich at science-computing.de
Tue Mar 1 14:50:23 UTC 2005

Dave,

Irving, Dave wrote:
> Now im really confused... I thought that the guest account was supposed to
> exist in /etc/passwd? I've obviously got the wrong end of the stick from the
> docs I've read.

No, as soon a you use a user that exists either in /etc/passwd or
smbpasswd you have to auth. the user.

> So what should guest account be? If its not meant to be in /etc/passwd or
> smbpasswd, should it just be a random name? (If so, I tried that - and I
> still got challenged for a user name / password...?)

AFAIK guest doesn't work if you want to modify files/directories.

Try adding the following section to your smb.conf

[publicShare]
    path = /home/public
    browseable = Yes
    writeable = No
    guest ok = Yes

then kill all smbd/nmbd processes or restart xinetd if xinetd serves
your samba.

Hth

Alex