/dev/sda slowly dieing??

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Tue Mar 1 15:09:51 UTC 2005

Roger Grosswiler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> past days, i had several warnings of my backup, it coudln't read some sectors. Is my harddisc slowly dieing or is this
> another issue? Is there a tool within linux, where i can mark some sectors as defective?

I'd toss the disk.  Marking sectors as bad might sound tempting.
However, in my experience when you start getting bad sectors, their
number simply keeps growing exponentially.

Usually what happens inside disk is that you got head crash which
damaged the surface of disk, and small particle (or several of them) got
stripped off it.  This can happen because of vibrations, or improper
disk shutdown (for example, heads were not parked properly for whatever
reason).  Disks are designed with this in mind, however like with
everyting, some designs are better than others, and some manufacturing
facilities are implementing designes better than others (plus
manufacturers are limited with final disk price and profit margins)...

Since plates are rotating at high speed, this particle(s) will fly
around all over the inside of the disk.  Because of this, those
particles are sometimes also called sattelites (rotation of disk is
making circular airflow, and this particles are light enough to rotate
with that airflow, like sattelites).  From time to time they will cause
more damage and occasionally strip more particles from the surface of
the disk.  Especially if it zips between head and plate, the particle
can be pushed down to disk surface and may scratch it, plus it can couse
head vibrations that will lead to another head crash.  What you will
observer is that your disk is getting more and more bad sectors, and
their number is exponentially growing.