Any Product like SUS (Software update service)?

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Mar 1 16:07:46 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 08:37, Ceyhun KIRMIZITAS wrote:
> I.m used to managing redhat servers running free versions of RH.
> I started to deploy RH servers running AS3.2 and  I am a little confused
> about what is the best way to keep uptodate my fedoras and ASs.
>
> the Microsoft SUS can do followings:
> 1- SUS allows customers to install a service that can download all
> critical updates and security updates and service packs as they are posted
> to the Microsoft Windows® Update Web site
>
> 2- When administrators have approved these updates, SUS will automatically
> make them available to all preconfigured servers running Microsoft Windows
> Serverâ„¢ 2003 and Windows 2000, as well as to desktops running Windows XP
> Professional and Windows 2000 Professional.
>
> What are you guys out there using?

I'd guess that what most people do is run 'yum update' on a test box
and if everything looks ok, use ssh to repeat the command on all
of them.  There is, of course, some chance of the remote
repository being modified between the time you update the test box
and the production servers.  If you are worried about this you
could use rsync to mirror the update repository locally and
adjust your yum.conf to use the snapshot copy instead.  Yum will
observe http_proxy and ftp_proxy in the environment so if you
want to reduce the bandwidth for updates you can point those at
a squid proxy configured to cache large files.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com