Umask

Jay Paulson jpaulson at sedl.org
Tue Mar 1 16:27:48 UTC 2005

Fedora's default umask is set to 022.  I need it to be set to 002 so
that different users within the same group can ftp and download the
same file(s).  However, I noticed that when I set the umask to 002 it
changes it system wide!  I was wondering if this was a security risk?
My network admin wants us to ssh in change the owner of the file using
the sudo chown command, download the file, then change the owner back.
I REALLY don't want to do this for every file that I want to work on.
There has to be a way to change this and I think umask is the way to do
it.  The thing is I do not want to go changing the umask of the system
without knowing if it's secure or not.

Thanks for any help.
jay