/dev/sda slowly dieing??

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Tue Mar 1 17:23:26 UTC 2005

On or about 2005-03-01 04:02, Hacksaw whipped out a trusty #2 pencil and
scribbled:

>>must be 2-3 years old...i think about changing the disk in this case...
>>

>That's too bad. That's a young disk in my view of things. I have a 9Gig scsi
>disk that has been going since Redhat 6.2.
>
>Good luck.

Is that 24/7/365?  3 years is 26,280 hours.  In days of yore, good disks
used to be rated for 50-100K hours, but I suspect in the last few years
the design life has gone down with the prices.  In 3 years, price cut in
half, capacity doubled, speed doubled (or at least increased a lot).
Getting to where you just treat disks like tires on your car and replace
them as needed....

--
Fritz Whittington
"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." -- Al Capone