List Rules -- How about gmane?

beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Tue Mar 1 18:04:55 UTC 2005

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 20:47:30 -0700, James McKenzie wrote:

> Here is the first edition of the List Rules.
>
> The first thing is that I, like you, are a regular member of the list
> but have read through many messages about 'netequitte' within this list.
>
> Just a couple of hints:
[...]
Many thanks, James, for a good start; strength to your arm.

Possible title might be "Advice: some ways to get your post read" -- long,
but it reads fast.

I've read every post in the whole thread as of right now, and don't see
the one thing I looked especially for : no one mentions gmane. I submit
that any such collocation of helpfulness, whatever you/we call it, ought
to.

The reason is that gmane makes it especially feasible, for those of us who
don't know squat about most of the discussion here, to pick out the topics
that we do have some hope of using -- without exposing the list to any
more extraneity than would appear anyway.

The reader I know best, for example, threw up both hands in despair, years
ago now, at the prospect of trying to pick out the usable parts of things
like the phoebe list or the shrike list -- and turned off the
subscriptions. I'd never have dared try Fedora in those days.

As it is, however, I have three machines running FC1, one with FC2, and
one with YDL4 -- all working, thanks in large part to the fact that gmane
carries this list and others like it.

By now, there must be some -- certainly including anyone I might advise --
who *start* on gmane, and spare themselves the detour through email.
Shouldn't the advice address them?

--
Beartooth Implacable, Linux Evangelist & Gadfly
neo-redneck, curmudgeonly codger with FC1&2, YDL4 -- & XP, alas!