Fedora Core Support List Unofficial User's Guide (draft 2 - Duncan Lithgow))

Gustavo Seabra gustavo.seabra at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 18:08:34 UTC 2005

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 11:35:20 -0600, David Hoffman <dhoffman2004 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 11:34:10 -0500, Charles E Taylor IV
> <tomalek at mindspring.com> wrote:
> > > Unfortunately, changing the subject lines breaks threading. It makes
> > > it look like an entirely new thread. The archives, news readers, and
> > > some mail programs (gmail) can sort messages into conversations based
> > > on the subject line. If you change the subject line, then the "Solved"
> > > portion of the message shows up as another thread.
> >
> > Don't most readers sort messages into threads based on References headers
> > and not the subject line?
>
> That would depend on what reader you are using. But if we are going to
> try to impress on people that they should search the archives before
> posting FAQs to the list, shouldn't we try to make the archives as
> useful as possible?
>
> The archives are sorted by subject line. Here's a quick example. The
> two links below go to two DIFFERENT threads on the same archive site.
> The only reason they were listed as different threads is because
> "SOLVED" was added to the subject line. These links only lead to a
> test message, but there are many other instances that I have found on
> the same archive site that do the same thing. (And the same is true
> for the redhat archive site).

Wouldn't that be the case to write to the administrators of such
archives (apparently including RH) to fix this? IMHO this should be
considered a *bug*, and a relatively serious one, specially for
archives.

Gustavo Seabra                 Graduate Student
Chemistry Dept.         Kansas State University
Registered Linux user number 381680