i'm in a black hole ... black net

fellons roberto.felloni at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 22:44:58 UTC 2005

Hi list.

I would want install a little net on my house.
At this time I have connected 2 machine directly to reverse cable.
Server with FC2 (192.168.0.1)  and Client with Win2000 (192.168.0.2).

Ping it works.
Ping it works with name and alias also.
 ------------ /etc/hosts -----------------------------
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost home
192.168.0.1 home.bear.net bear
192.168.0.2 pegasus.bear.net pegasus

------------ /etc/host.conf ---------------
order hosts,bind

------------ resolv.conf ---------------
nameserver 127.0.0.1

ping it works from both machine,
but win2000 don't resolve names.

on win2000 network configuration is:
ip             : 192.168.0.2
gateway   : 192.168.0.1
netmask   : 255.255.255.0
1st dns    : 192.168.0.1
wins         : 192.168.0.1

on win2000 i'm not capable to insert machine on domain bear.net
(but I don't know if FC2 have a correct domain name / management)

if I try to examine dns on FC2

rndc start -> connection failed : connection refused

I don't understand if on FC2 don't works well DNS resolutions
or if win2000 wont some service or something else.

Please, can someone, tell me where is the right way ?

Now I would try to implement DNS.
In /etc/resolvconf there are only configuration for
localhost:
declaration of directory for zone,
defintion of zone ".", "localhost" and "0.0.127.in-addrf-arpa"

Why DNS not works ??

Any suggestions are appreciated.

many thanks
--