Backup to CD

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Wed Mar 2 00:01:42 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 18:55 -0500, Luan Pham wrote:
> How do I backup my Home directory to a CD-R.  What software shoukd I
> used.  BTW I am usinfg Fedora Core 3.

    I do that from time to time; if you have PGP keys, it's a great
idea.

    I just use XCdroast; they have a way to 'master' a disk, you point
out the /home/yourdir directory and then 'write disk' and it's done.
There are tons of options, but feel free to play with it- you won't hurt
anything.

    Be aware, though, there are small changes to the kernel and/or parts
of xcdroast that differ from the author's distribution of the package.
If you find yourself burning 'coasters' all the time, boot your machine
with the additional "nocddma" keyword and it should work better.

    If you do it yet tonight, I'll be around- you can just IM me and
I'll walk ya through it.

Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ: 5119262                                          AIM: WheelDweller