List Rules -- How about gmane?

David Hoffman dhoffman2004 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 00:32:20 UTC 2005

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 16:45:11 -0500, beartooth <beartooth at adelphia.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 12:16:44 -0600, David Hoffman wrote:
>
> > There was a discussion about moving from a listserver format to a news
> > format last month, and there were a bunch of people who were against
> > that because they simply don't like going to a news reader to look at
> > these messages.
> >
> > That being said, gmane does give people the flexibility to decide if
> > they want to use it or not.
>
> If any particular posters prefer email, more power to them; I never meant
> to say otherwise. But there is a difference in that you may not get the
> usual welcome message -- or not know to save it where you can find it.
>
> [....]
> > The most recent subject we have been discussing is the concept of
> > changing a subject line to indicate a resolution for a problem. While
> > that might work in a forum type environment, it still causes there to
> > be multiple threads resulting from the same issue. Even gmane breaks
> > threads like this sometimes.
>
> OK, that's news to me. I've certainly seen threads it didn't break, where
> the post beginning with [SOLVED] really stands out; I'm sorry to hear
> that the other kind happens. I wonder what determines which ....

Earlier, someone kindly pointed me to several examples of threads on
GMANE that were intact, even with changed subject lines. I haven't
used GMANE regularly since I started using Gmail, about two months
now, but I do recall there being an issue at the time with some
threads becoming broken. That appears to be resolved now.

Gmail and MARC still seem to break threads though.