Static Kernel booting issues... for server oriented custome kernel

Serge de Souza serge.de.souza at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 04:09:08 UTC 2005

Lissimore wrote:
<snip>
> Questions:
> 1) Has anyone tried turning module loading off and booted
>    successfully?  If so I would appreciate knowing how you
>    solved the boot problem I have run into.
<snip>

Yes. Do as indicated in http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/udev/ :

Udev without initrd

Install Fedore Core as usual and reboot. Execute the following commands

mkdir /tmp/dev
mount --move /dev /tmp/dev
sbin/MAKEDEV null console zero
mount --move /tmp/dev /dev

Install your kernel without an initrd. Reboot.

You will get some SELinux errors, and syslogd will not work as expected.

PS sorry for the late response just going through old mail ;)