Burning a 4,4GB. single file to a DVD

Mogens Kjaer mk at crc.dk
Wed Mar 2 13:46:16 UTC 2005

A. Lanza wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> i'm trying to burn a single large file (4,4GB. in size) to a DVD with no
> success. It looks like the problem is that mkisofs has a limitation on
> the size of each individual file it takes. My installed version of
> mkisofs is 2.01.1. and i'm using k3b to burn the DVD.
>
> What i want is to burn 4,4GB. files containing backup data to DVDs. Is
> there a way to overpass mkisofs limitation?

Does it have to be in an ISO container?

Can't you just burn your backup.tar (or whatever) directly
on the DVD?

Then you can read the tar archive with:

tar xvf /dev/hdc

or whatever name your DVD drive has.

Mogens

Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08
Email: mk at crc.dk Homepage: http://www.crc.dk