Dovecot config imap and pop3

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Wed Mar 2 14:42:42 UTC 2005

Am Mi, den 02.03.2005 schrieb Kevin Old um 15:18:

> I'm running FC2 and the latest Dovecot for FC2.  I've got it
> configured correctly accepting pop, pops and imaps connections.
>
> My question is, can dovecot be configured to allow for a few accounts
> to be imap in an all pop environment?  For example, I have an account
> for user kdo which is a pop account.  I'd like to make an account for
> user kdoimap which would be an imap account.

The server doesn't care about the question whether the client uses POP3
or IMAP as protocol to communicate with the server. Using POP3 with an
account with subfolders below the INBOX just leads to the fact, that the
client only sees the INBOX. The different direction is no problem:
previously POP3 read mailboxes can be accesses with IMAP with no
problem.

> The thing that I'm confused about is how does dovecot know if it's
> imap or pop (other than the port it's connecting on) and store the
> mail correctly.  I have this set in my /etc/dovecot.conf
>
> default_mail_env = mbox:~/mail/:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
>
> How would I get an imap account setup?

It is the same. You don't have to care. The user is advised to decide
how he want to use the mail account (see annotation above).

> Kevin Old

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.10-1.14_FC2smp
Serendipity 15:39:24 up 9 days, 2:48, load average: 0.21, 0.17, 0.25