Burning a 4,4GB. single file to a DVD

John Austin ja at jaa.org.uk
Wed Mar 2 16:04:15 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-02 at 09:02 -0500, Walter Francis wrote:
> > A. Lanza wrote:
> > > Hi list,
> > >
> > > i'm trying to burn a single large file (4,4GB. in size) to a DVD with no
> > > success. It looks like the problem is that mkisofs has a limitation on
> > > the size of each individual file it takes. My installed version of
> > > mkisofs is 2.01.1. and i'm using k3b to burn the DVD.
> > >
> > > What i want is to burn 4,4GB. files containing backup data to DVDs. Is
> > > there a way to overpass mkisofs limitation?
>
> Is it not possible that your image is *TOO BIG* ?  Remember that a DVD
> is 4.7 million bits, which is about 4.37gigabytes.  You didn't say exactly
> what problem you're having, but this might be it if you're attempting to
> burn the image and failing.
>
> BTW, you might check out growisofs, I use it for all my DVD burning, it's
> great, and has a built-in mkisofs routine.
Hi

Quote from
http://www.bhacorp.com/support/faq_gold7/10.html

"The maximum file size is 2 GB for a DVD-Video file and 4 GB for a data
file. If you add a data file that is over 4 GB into the field, the
following message appears: "You cannot use a file which is more than 4
GB due to ISO9660 restrictions"."

I seem to remember I have used the mkisofs option -udf option to record
large files
http://www.softarch.com/us/dvd/UDF_whitepaper.pdf

Pass the -udf option through from growisofs to mkisofs

man mkisofs shows
-udf   Include UDF support in the generated filesystem image.  UDF sup-
port is currently in alpha status and for this reason, it is not
possible to create UDF only images.   UDF  data  structures  are
currently  coupled  to  the Joliet structures, so there are many
pitfalls with the current implementation. There  is  no  UID/GID
support,  there is no POSIX permission support, there is no sup-
port for symlinks.  Note that UDF wastes the space  from  sector
~20  to  sector  256 at the beginning of the disk in addition to
the spcae needed for real UDF data structures.

Hope this helps
John