Reducing Load on Amavisd-new/Spamassassin/Antivir

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Wed Mar 2 16:44:24 UTC 2005

Am Mi, den 02.03.2005 schrieb Roger Grosswiler um 15:55:

> Hi list,

Hi Roger!

> I use Postfix/amavisd-new from dag's repos/spamassassin and antivir for checking incoming and outgoing mails. It's a
> feature i won't miss anymore.

Why am I able to understand that quite well? :)

> Thing is, that it uses EXTREMLY ressources. Do you have any idea, how i could reduce load on amavisd? I use the
> standard-config shipped with the rpm.

While SpamAssassin is known to be a beast when it comes to mail
processing time and used memory, especially when running spamassassin
directly rather to use spamc/spamd, it would be helpful to know real
values. So, what do you call "extremely"? About how much mail per second
/ minute are we speaking? And last but not least: how powerful is the
machine the MTA with the helper applications is running on? Another
factor is the average size of mails to be processed.

> Roger

Side note: I am running Sendmail with MimeDefang (Perl application using
embedded Perl code), which binds SpamAssassin to the mail processing
stream, and it has no real problem to handle my daily mails (600?; most
list mails). Anti virus protection is coming with ClamAV being the
primary milter to discard virus / worm mails without further processing
by other parts of the mail system.

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.10-1.14_FC2smp
Serendipity 17:34:58 up 9 days, 4:43, load average: 0.35, 0.31, 0.27