Website info request

Age Bosma agebosma at home.nl
Wed Mar 2 17:52:58 UTC 2005

Henry Hartley wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 at 11:49 AM, Age said:
>
>>>I want to start using Linux and at this stage Fedora is the one I
>>>would like to give a try.
>>>
>>>When browsing the website I found that 2 important things are
>>>missing:
>>>
>>>- Package info
>>>I wasn't able to find a page which gave me some info about what
>>>each disc actually contains. Are all 4 disc necessary to be able
>>>to install Fedora? Since the distribution is 4 disc big in total,
>>>providing this info might reduce the amount of downloads if not
>>>all disc are realy necessary.
>

> You can see a list of packages:
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/3/i386/os/Fedora
> /RPMS/
>
> although that won't tell you what is on which CD.  A minimal install
> doesn't require all the CDs but you're probably better off just biting
> the bullet and getting them all.

Too bad...
Any chance that the packages are going to be grouped onto the different
disc a bit more in the future to be able to tell beforehand which cd's
you rely need and which you can exclude? Downloading all discs isn't
realy a problem for me, it just saves some resources (less downloads,
less disc have to be burned, etc.).

>>>- Support
>>>There is no obvious location on the site with support info. I'm
>>>not even sure this mailing list is the one I should send this
>>>stuff to. A page with at least mailing list info would be handy
>>>to have.
>

> Information on the various mailing lists is here:
> http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/communicate/
>
> Pick a mailing list from that page and you'll get, among other things, a
> link to the list archives.  This does seem like the right one for
> questions of this sort.

That's what I was looking for! Cheers :-)
Maybe it's an idea to create a section excluding the dev info and
placing it under the About section or something as well. It just seems a
bit more obvious to me.

>>>At this stage there aren't any docs available about how to
>>>install/use Fedora, only docs about how to write docs, am I
>>>right?  This was a bit confusing to me.  It might be usefull
>>>to say this on the website to prevent people from getting
>>>confused or to prevent unnecessary digging in the site in
>>>case they think it's "hidden" somewhere by accident.
>

> There are a few sources of documentation.  I'd start with the release
> notes:
> http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc3/x86/
>
> The unofficial Fedora FAQ is also a useful site:
> http://www.fedorafaq.org/
>
> and of course, a LOT of questions get answered on this list so the
> archives are a good source for problem resolution:
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/
>
> If you don't find answers in any of those locations (or a Google
> search), post specific questions here and you'll get either an answer or
> a pointer to an answer.  I hope that helps and welcome to the world of
> Fedora Core.

Haha, thank you very much for the info. Much appreciated.
Again, maybe it's a good idea to create a Link section as well with
these kind of external resources.

Age