Kernel-2.6.10-1.14_FC2 System Freezes - SOLVED

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Wed Mar 2 18:57:39 UTC 2005

Craig White wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 00:20 -0500, David Curry wrote:
>

>>Perhaps a pattern is beginning to emerge on the system freezeups I am
>>experiencing with the 1.14FC2 kernel.
>>
>>Again, I was away from the system when it froze up and it was pretty
>>much idling.  Since the chron log does not include an entry for 22:01
>>hours, I infer that the system locked up sometime between 21:01:00 and
>>22:01:00 hours.  Mail log has no entries between 7:30:41 hours and
>>reboot at 22:29:13 hours.
>>
>>The system log is interesting.  ALL entries for the 21st hour of the day
>>fall within a five minute interval.  Entries also appear related to
>>sound and a cd-rom drive.  As noted in earlier messages, gnome
>>applications may very well be involved too.  Gnome-cd was in use playing
>>a music cd right before I stepped away from the system and gnome-cd has
>>exhibited inconsistent compliance with Gnome CD & DVD Preference settings.
>>
>>Feb 28 21:34:01 localhost modprobe: FATAL: Error running install command
>>for sound_slot_1
>>Feb 28 21:38:06 localhost kernel: hdc: command error: status=0x51 {
>>DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
>>Feb 28 21:38:06 localhost kernel: hdc: command error: error=0x50
>>Feb 28 21:38:06 localhost kernel: ide: failed opcode was 100
>>Feb 28 21:38:06 localhost kernel: ATAPI device hdc:
>>Feb 28 21:38:06 localhost kernel:   Error: Illegal request -- (Sense
>>key=0x05)
>>Feb 28 21:38:06 localhost kernel:   Illegal mode for this track or
>>incompatible medium -- (asc=0x64, ascq=0x00)
>>Feb 28 21:38:06 localhost kernel:   The failed "Read 10" packet command
>>was:
>>Feb 28 21:38:06 localhost kernel:   "28 00 00 00 00 10 00 00 01 00 00 00
>>00 00 00 00 "
>>Feb 28 21:38:06 localhost kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 64
>>Feb 28 21:38:06 localhost kernel: isofs_fill_super: bread failed,
>>dev=hdc, iso_blknum=16, block=16
>>
>>I also saw the mobprobe error re - sound_slot_1 in the system log around
>>the time of the last system freeze.
>>
>>It seems to me that there is a bug here somewhere, but in which package
>>or packages?
>>
>>Thoughts anyone.
>>

>----
>probably one of the screensavers - the GL screensavers have been a
>problem for some - try just going to blank screen instead and see if
>that lightens things
>
>Craig

Thanks for the suggestion, Craig.  I switched to blank screen for
several hours without having any crashes.  Then I picked "Fontglide" as
the sole screensaver pattern to use after checking the pattern of each
screensaver available for selection.  The system has not frozen up since
acting on your suggestion.

In checking the screensaver patterns, I did not find any that
approximated what I saw on frozen screens.  However, there were a half
dozen or so screensaver selections that offered no test patterns.  Thus,
I suspect it is one of those half dozen or screensaver files that does
not play nice with kernel-2.6.10-1.14_FC2.