Network Manager

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Wed Mar 2 21:06:59 UTC 2005

Jon Savage wrote:

>> Thirdly, as far as I can see NetworkManager
>> tries to make my WiFi card (a bog-standard Orinico Gold PCMCIA card)
>> perform operations that it is not capable of,
>> causing my laptop to hang.

> Have you tried the cvs version of the drivers from:
> http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/orinoco/

In my case, NetworkManager is only an interesting hobby.
WiFi works perfectly for me with my Orinoco Classic Gold PCMCIA card,
using the standard kernel orinoco_cs module under linux-2.6.10 .
I wouldn't want to lose that.

It seems to me that if NetworkManager only works with certain cards,
or with certain drivers, this should be stated somewhere.

Or even better, could NetworkManager test the card in use,
and drop out with an error message if the card is unable
to perform the operations required by the program?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366