Fwd: Upgrade from redhat8 to fedoracore 2

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Mar 2 21:55:57 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-02 at 14:45 -0700, Robin Laing wrote:
> Larry Cotton wrote:
> > 1) When I rebooted after the install about 8 error dialogs with the message:
> > Error activating XKB configuration.
> > Probably internal X server problem.

Alexander posted a link to where you can find a fix for this earlier,
but in short, it's:

Edit your X configuration file and change the line:

  Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"

  Option "XkbRules" "xorg"

> > appeared. And on rebooting there after I still get one  of these. My
> > desktop settings have also gone, which I guess is a part of this
> > problem.

Probably easiest to remove all your desktop settings and create them
again from scratch, just like for a new user.

> > 2) An error occured at startup when the system attempted to start
> > httpd. When I try to strart it manually I get an error:
> > Starting httpd: /usr/sbin/httpd: error while loading shared libraries:
> > /usr/lib/libaprutil-0.so.0: undefined symbol: gdbm_errno
> >                                                           [FAILED]

Which version of the apr package do you have?

FC2 should be apr-0.9.4-11

$ rpm -q apr

> When I went from RH8 to FC1, I ended up with weird problems that would
> pop-up about once a month.  Took about a year to get them all cleaned
> up.  There are probably some still lingering around to be a problem on
> a really busy day.
>
> It can be done, but from what I hear, it isn't the best idea to do the
> upgrade.  I won't even do the upgrade from FC1 to FC3 do to major
> changes in FC.  Waiting for FC4 for a clean install.

I've gone FC1->FC2->FC3 on a number of machines and it wasn't too bad.
But fresh installs are generally easier and nicer if you can do them.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>