Boot problems after latest FC3 updates

labman knocknees at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 02:58:30 UTC 2005

Hi all

first cry for help here so bear with me, I've been monitoring the list
for the last few days hoping someone else had experienced the same
problem but looks like it is peculiar to me.

I've been running FC3 for about 6wks now and it's been rock solid and
a good learning experience for this newbie. I ran the update routine
earlier this week to install the latest available updates (about 15 of
them) including a kernel update, now it won't boot to the new kernel.

I've managed to turn "rhgb quiet" off from the grub screen so I could
get a better idea of what's happening, from what I can see the boot
gets as far as "Enabling swap space" [ok] then stalls.

For info: When I installed FC3, it came with the 2.6.9-1.667 kernel.
Since then, I successfully updated to the 2.6.10-1.760_FC3 kernel. It
booted ok and ran well.
When I ran my update this week, the kernel was updated to
2.6.10-1.766_FC3. It will not boot, and nor will the previous kernel.
The 2.6.9-1.667 kernel still boots fine.

Not sure where to go from here. What's next in the boot routine? What
could be stopping it at that point?  Can I re-run the update somehow?
Am I better off just sticking with the older kernel? Opinions welcome.

regards
Labman

AMD Sempron 2400+
ASUS A7N8X-VM/400