File permissions when ftp

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Mar 3 14:28:45 UTC 2005

Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 07:48 -0600, Jay Paulson wrote:
>>But now that I have set the group and the permissions to the directory
>>to 2775 Apache doesn't like it and I get a 403 Forbidden error and I
>>don't know why.
>>

> Having the directory set to allow group writing and the sgid bit set is
> VERY insecure.  Apache knows that and refuses to use insecure settings.
> You should reset the directory back to the proper permissions.

This is not only not true (about Apache refusing to access the
group-writeable sgid directory - I just tried it myself) but changing
the permissions back breaks the requirement that the OP's original
question was about, namely how to make sure that new files written into
the directory have the right group ownership.

Paul.