Network Manager: slightly OT

Erik Hemdal ehemdal at townisp.com
Thu Mar 3 21:10:50 UTC 2005

> Sorry if my post is seen as OT but I need a similar answer
> for my wireless card. I have FC3 on my Dell dimension with
> the Belkin F5D6001 version 1 PCI wireless card and I am just
> not able to run it. I know the card works as I installed it
> on my Suse personal 9.1 and use it in conjuction with
> netapplet. It obviously works with windows too as the drivers
> are available. But FC3 is just no go. FC3 finds my card when
> setting up a new wireless connection but never gets an IP
> address. I have even tried to use NetworkManager and it
> briefly worked for a day, inconsistently though - kept
> rescanning over and over again, but eventually stopped
> working altogether. I even tried ndiswrapper on this card but

Ganesh:

If the card "briefly worked for a day", perhaps changing the frequency of
your access point will help.

At one point, I had a wireless card which would behave very badly --
dropping the connection, reconnecting, and sometimes not working at all.
The issue was resolved by changing the AP frequency.  A few neighbors
recently had opened up their own wireless networks, and we were interfering.

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/index.php/Installation

was very helpful to me in getting wireless to work.

Make sure that the access point is actually able to provide an address, as
well.  By default, the ones I've seen will, but this can be disabled if you
want it to be.  Look for DHCP settings on the AP.

Erik