FC2 -DELL 8400 Integrated Ethernet gigabit controller problem

Erik Hemdal ehemdal at townisp.com
Thu Mar 3 21:33:00 UTC 2005

> Message: 13
> Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 11:27:46 -0800 (PST)
> From: Ahamarshan jn <ashgene at yahoo.co.in>
> Subject: FC2 -DELL 8400 Integrated Ethernet gigabit controller problem
> To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>
> Thanks,
>  I am nearly stressed up because i am fighting with
> this connection for nearly a month, I dont find
> Broadcom Netextreme either in the list of adapters.
> Also i tried to download the latest kernel RPMs
> 2.6.10... as adviced but when trying to install rpm -i
> kerlnelxxx All i get is a warning message and no
> further installation takes place.

>  I am mailing by booting with winxp and my FC2 is
> still dormant in the other side of my harddisk.
> How do i probe for findingout what NIC type i have(ie
> what linux detects my NIC type is).
> thank you
> - ash

I have a Broadcom integrated controller, and it works perfectly out of the
box.  It's identified as a Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit integrated controller.
If yours is configured as an "Intel Gigabit 1000" it sounds as though you
have an incorrect driver.

I may have missed something in this thread, because I'm not sure why the
kernel needs to be updated.  I don't think that's necessary to get the NIC
running.

I have had success in rescuing these situations by using
system-config-network to remove the existing eth0 interface, saving the
network settings, and then setting up a new interface using the Internet
Connection Wizard via the menus.

In my experience, the Wizard is going to come up with the device it finds,
and the choice of "Other Ethernet Card".  I have never had success trying to
select the card; the card S-C-N finds is always the right one.

If system-config-network can't identify your card at all, write back.

Erik