FC3: ide tape problem with kernel 2.6.10

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Mar 4 00:11:07 UTC 2005

Craig Goodyear wrote:
> I have recently updated my FC3 kernel from 2.6.9-1.667 to
> 2.6.10-1.766_FC3.  The system has had all available updates applied.  I
> am using a Seagate STT8000A ATAPI tape drive for backup.  I am loading
> the ide-scsi module.  Prior to the update, tar and dump both worked
> without any problems using this tape drive.
>
> Since the kernel update, tar and dump appear to write the files to the
> tape drive: no error messages are generated during the write and the
> tape is positioned at the correct block following the write.  However, I
> am not able to restore any of the backup files to the hard disk.  Using
> tar, no errors are returned, and no files are restored.  Using restore,
> the following error is generated: "restore: Tape is not a dump tape."

dump format and tar format are not the same thing.  restore only
restores dump tapes.  If you tried to restore a tar tape, then that
message makes absolute sense.  To see what's on a tar tape:

	mt -f /dev/st0 rewind
	tar tf /dev/st0

To restore a tar tape with tar:

	mt -f /dev/st0 rewind
	tar xf /dev/st0
-           What is a "free" gift?  Aren't all gifts free?           -