name resolution problem when using wired connection for VPN

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Mar 4 00:15:47 UTC 2005

Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 14:06, Scot L. Harris wrote:

>>>Did you check iptables and make sure that it's not blocking eth0 stuff
>>>(the wireless is probably wlan0 and may be wide open).
>>
>>Good idea!  Will check that.  The wireless comes up as eth1 and the
>>wired connection is eth0.  But it could be something in iptables.  Will
>>check that.
>

> Don't see anything in iptables that would block name resolution when the
> VPN is active on the wired port.
>
> I tried disabling iptables as well and no change.
>
> I forgot to include in the first message that IP connectivity works with
> VPN and wired connection.  I can ping the name servers but queries time
> out.

Hmmm.  Interesting.  Normally a VPN is set up point-to-point.  Is the
DNS server on the network that you're VPNing (is that a word?) to?

The other thing is the default route.  You didn't say if both interfaces
are active when DNS doesn't work.  I'd suspect that the default route
got wonked when eth0 came up with the VPN and you aren't actually
getting to the DNS server you think you are.
-        "And on the seventh day, He exited from append mode."       -