modprobe using ~100% of cpu?

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Fri Mar 4 00:19:43 UTC 2005

Scot L. Harris wrote:

>FC3 system, tecra M2.
>

>While trouble shooting a problem with name resolution I switched back
>and forth between the wired and wireless connections a couple of times.
>
>I noticed after doing this that the CPU was running at 100% load.  top
>indicates it is modprobe using 99.3% of the CPU.
>
>It does not appear that this will stop short of a reboot.
>
>Does anyone know if this is a known problem?

I hit a similar problem upon trying to restart iptables yesterday.
It cleared up when I stopped the NetworkManager service, which I then
started again.

I've not taken the time to search bugzilla yet.  Just thought I would
add my anecdotal evidence of a modprobe/NetworkManager problem.  If it
occurs again you might try 'service NetworkManager restart' as root to
see if it is the same or a different issue.

Chris

   Chris Johnson, RHCE #807000448202021