rm doesn't free up space

Greg Trounson gregt at maths.otago.ac.nz
Fri Mar 4 00:48:02 UTC 2005

Earl wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm running FC3 and ran out of disk space.
>
> After deleting a huge - and I mean approx 5Gb - worth of files, the df output still shows 0% free. None of these files were linked to other files. They should be well truly gone.
>
> Rebooting and forcing a fsck doesn't seem to have solved the problem.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Earl

A long shot, but what is your inode count?

df -i will tell you.

It is possible to run out of available inodes on an ext2/3 filesystem,
even if there is still plenty of free disk space available.

Another possibility is that the files you deleted were situated on a
mountpoint pointing to another volume.

Greg