name resolution problem when using wired connection for VPN

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Fri Mar 4 03:23:41 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 19:15, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Scot L. Harris wrote:

> > Don't see anything in iptables that would block name resolution when the
> > VPN is active on the wired port.
> >
> > I tried disabling iptables as well and no change.
> >
> > I forgot to include in the first message that IP connectivity works with
> > VPN and wired connection.  I can ping the name servers but queries time
> > out.
>
> Hmmm.  Interesting.  Normally a VPN is set up point-to-point.  Is the
> DNS server on the network that you're VPNing (is that a word?) to?
>
> The other thing is the default route.  You didn't say if both interfaces
> are active when DNS doesn't work.  I'd suspect that the default route
> got wonked when eth0 came up with the VPN and you aren't actually
> getting to the DNS server you think you are.

Thanks for taking interest in this problem.

No just one interface at a time is active.  ifconfig shows only one with
an assigned IP address and netstat -rn shows the active interface in the
last column.

I can ping the DNS servers listed in the resolv.conf file.  But trying
to resolve names with them when the wired interface is being used does
not work.  Did not have this issue under FC2.

Could this be an issue with NetworkManager?  Been using that for awhile
mainly with the wireless connection.  I noticed this problem when I
traveled to another site and connected up using a wired connection.  I
have since reproduced the problem here.  I think when I first brought
the system up I used the wired connection.  But installed NetworkManager
to get the wireless working.

Is it possible to extract NetworkManager completely from a system?  I
may try that next just to see if I can get the wired connection working.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

If there was any justice in the world, "trust" would be a four-letter word.