name resolution problem when using wired connection for VPN

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Fri Mar 4 03:44:55 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 19:25, Johnathan Bailes wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 16:15:47 -0800, Rick Stevens

> Wireless routers can many time screw name resolution up.
>
> You need to go into your network configuration and try to explicitly
> name the alternate name servers that are provided by your ISP or
> company.
>
> This may not be your issue so please correct me if this is not the
> case but wireless routers name this themselves like 192.168.0.1 as the
> main name server.
>
> But they also get out of whack sometimes and suddenly dns resolution
> starts failing everywhere.
>
> Can you reach your regular dns servers at all from your vpn connection?

When the VPN is setup it populates the resolv.conf file with the
companies DNS servers.  This works fine over the wireless connection.

It is when I switch to a wired connection when the name resolution stops
for some reason.

I don't point to my NAT/router firewall for DNS services anyway.  I
point to my ISPs for normal operation and the VPN redirects things to
the companies DNS servers when it is operational.

I can ping the companies DNS servers by IP address so there is network
connectivity.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com