LDAP tcp ports not open!

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Fri Mar 4 09:47:53 UTC 2005

Daniel Durgin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I been running this ldap server for about a month now.
>  Last night it died for some reason.  So I restarted
> the service.  No errors on start up.
>
> But, now I can't connect with any client.  Here's the
> kicker.  The slapd is running, but port 389 and 636
> are closed.  I used nmap, those ports open.  Telneting
> into those ports was also futile.
>
> This should not be a firewall issue.  I have already
> opened the ports and have been using ldap for about a
> month.
>
> I also tried starting slapd manually with all debug
> info.  I haven't seen any errors yet.
>
> I have check /var/log/messages too, nothing.
>
> Any Ideas?
>
> - Dan
>
> P.S. FC3, standard ldap rpm: openldap-2.2.13-2

I think that's an indication of the backend database hanging. First, shut
down slapd. Make a complete backup of /var/lib/ldap. Then remove the files
in /var/lib/ldap which begin with __ (most likely __db.001, __db.002 etc.).
Try starting slapd again.

I think it's something to do with persistent locks which get messed up if
the backend database isn't shutdown properly.

If this fails you may need to re-build the backend database from an ldif
source (you have an ldif backup, I hope).

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555